Electricity

DO
  • Only use plugs that fit outlet (a three prong plug should only go into a three prong outlet).
  • Check that wire insulation is in good condition.
  • Keep motors and tools properly lubricated.
  • Use extension cords only when necessary and only if they are rated high enough for the job.
  • Use waterproof cords outdoors.
  • Follow manufacturer's instructions for all electrical equipment.
  • Leave electrical repairs to skilled maintenance personnel and licensed electricians.

DON'T
  • Don't overload outlets or motors.
  • Don't let grease, dust or dirt build up on machinery
  • Don't place cords near heat or water.
  • Don't run cords along the floor, under the rug and carpets or through doors where they can be damaged.
  • Don't touch anything electric with wet hands.
  • Don't put anything but an electrical plug into an electrical outlet.
  • Don't use temporary wiring in place of permanent wiring.

KNOW WHAT TO DO
SHOCK — Don't touch the victim. Turn off power immediately if possible and call the fire department for medical help. Use a stick or other nonconducting aid to move the victim away from the shock source. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If the heart has stopped, give CPR. Try not to move the victim. Keep the person lying down and lightly covered.

ELECTRICAL FIRE — Don't use water or touch the burning object. If possible to do it safely unplug or turn off the current. If the fire's small, put it out with a CO2 or multipurpose ABC extinguisher. Always notify the fire department immediately.

BURNS - For minor burns, rinse with cool water and cover with clean dry cloth. Cover a major burn with a clean dry cloth and seek immediate medical attention.