History

History
Willard Johnson, Tom Lindsay, Charley Phillip, Harry Patrick, Roy York, Robert Lewis, Ralph Scrock, Chuck Mincemoyer, Clarence Parker, George Hewett, Dan Burdick
History Of The Loves Park Fire Department
As promised during the July 7, 1947 city council meeting, Mayor Burton and the Police and Fire Committee immediately began organizing the Loves Park Fire Department. City officials went to Byron, Durand, and Rock City, Illinois, looking at and testing out "fog-type" fire-fighting fire equipment, while Burton and the committee began interviewing candidates for fire and police chief. Police chief candidates included Henry Easton, Richard Hansen, Robert E. Getts, William Albright, and Clifford E. Johnson. Fire chief candidates were Witt Parker and Roy E. York. On September 2, 1947, Mayor Burton appointed Roy E. York as the first Fire/Police Chief for the City of Loves Park.

The Loves Park Fire Department was also organized at this same time with 11 charter members. They were Roy York, Alford Carlson, Willard C. Johnson, Robert Lewis, Thomas Lindsay, Charles Mincemoyer, James Morgan, Harry Patrick, Clarence Parker, Charles A. Phillips, and Ralph H. Schrock Jr. The Loves Park Fire Department was organized as an all-volunteer force because there were no funds for a paid department. It has remained a volunteer fire department since its inception. On September 19, 1947, the Loves Park Fire Department assumed full responsibility for handling all fires within the city limits.

On February 21, 1949, the Loves Park Fire Department was formally created by City Ordinance No. 42. This ordinance was later found to be invalid because it did not place administrative operation of the fire department under city jurisdiction. In september of 1949, under Mayor Frank Larson, a second fire ordinance was passed amending the first ordinance and putting all administrative, regulatory, and personnel operations under city control. On September 6, 1949, the city council passed Ordinance No. 54 establishing the current Loves Park Fire Department.

By 1954 the fire department had a 3,000 gallon tanker purchased by the Volunteer Fireman's Association, the Bean pumper, a $21,000 Ward LaFrance pumper, and a radio equipped chief's car.